The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is urging partygoers to celebrate Cinco de Mayo safely this year. Unfortunately, Cinco de Mayo, a holiday celebrating Mexico’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War, has become synonymous with alcohol-heavy partying. As with any modern holiday associated with partying, we typically see a spike in injury causing and fatal drunk driving crashes during this time period. Officials with the NHTSA are calling on partygoers to designate a driver before they start in on the festivities.
Cinco de Mayo Crashes by The Numbers
- From 2012-2016, there were 305 people killed in drunk driving crashes over the Cinco de Mayo holiday period.
- During the 2016 Cinco de Mayo holiday period, 51 people were killed in drunk driving crashes across the U.S.
- In 2016, there were 257 crash fatalities during the Cinco de Mayo holiday weekend.
- Approximately one out of three people were killed in crashes involving drunk drivers during that time period.
- Over the 2016 Cinco de Mayo holiday period, almost one-fourth of drivers in fatal crashes had BACs of .15 or higher, which is nearly twice the legal limit.
Plan Ahead For a Sober Ride Home
The best way to make sure you get home safely after a night of celebrating is to plan ahead. Designate a driver before you go out. Don’t wait until the last minute to plan a safe ride home. If you don’t have a plan or if your plan falls through, it never hurts to have a cab company’s number pre-programed into your phone. Another great backup plan is using a ridesharing app on your phone. Set yourself up for success, and make sure you have an easy, accessible, safe and sober ride home at the end of the night.
Accidents Caused by Drunk Drivers
Officials with the NHTSA estimate that 78 people would be alive today if everybody had designated sober drivers during the 2016 Cinco de Mayo holiday weekend. Don’t become a statistic, and don’t endanger the lives of your fellow roadway users. The team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. wishes everybody a Safe and Happy Cinco de Mayo, and if you have been injured in a car accident caused by a drunk driver, contact our skilled and proven team at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation.