NHTSA on Older Driver Safety in 2019
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a great Drivewell Toolkit to promote safety in older drivers. According to the NHTSA, between 2008 and 2017, the number of older people in the U.S. increased by 31 percent, while the total population of all ages only increased by 7 percent. Since aging has an impact on physical and cognitive driving abilities, it’s important to talk to loved ones about their changing capabilities behind the wheel. Since driving is essentially a form of independence, it’s important that seniors have additional transportation options if they’re cutting back on driving.
Older Driver Crash Stats
- In 2017, there were 6,784 people aged 65 and older killed in motor vehicle crashes.
- Older drivers made up 18 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2017.
- In 2017, older drivers made up 19 percent of all licensed drivers.
- They also made up 14 percent of drivers involved in fatal traffic crashes in 2017.
- From 2008 to 2017, older male driver fatalities increased by 25 percent, compared with a 17 percent increase in older female driver fatalities.
- For older pedestrians, 67 percent of fatalities occurred at non-intersection locations in 2017.
The Drivewell Toolkit
The NHTSA’s Drivewell Toolkit is a great resource for older drivers and their loved ones. If you have an older driver in your life, download the Drivewell Toolkit from the NHTSA. It has information to help people understand issues related to older drivers and later-life independence and mobility. Additionally, it can also help in the evaluation of the effectiveness of older driver safety. Finally, there are resources for planning and implementing community outreach and public information events for older drivers and their family members and loved ones.
Car Accidents Involving Older Drivers
No matter what the age of the driver involved, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer after any kind of car accident. A lawyer can be your advocate and fight to get you the compensation you deserve to pay for medical bills, lost wages and other expenses associated with your injuries.
If you have been injured in a car accident involving a senior driver in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.