It’s no secret that St. Patrick’s Day is one of the deadliest holidays on U.S. roadways, so the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has just started publicizing their annual. Saint Patrick’s Day has become synonymous with green beer and heavy partying. Unfortunately, this has also resulted in an increase in injury causing and fatal drunk driving crashes. This year, the NHTSA wants people to know that Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving too, so if you plan on celebrating St. Patty’s Day with alcohol, make sure to have a safe ride home.
St. Patrick’s Day Crash Facts
- During the 2013-2017 St. Patrick’s Day holiday period, 234 lives were lost due to drunk driving crashes.
- In 2017 alone, 59 people (37 percent of all crash fatalities) were killed in drunk driving crashes over the St. Patrick’s holiday period.
- Between midnight and 5:59 a.m. March 18, 2017, three-fourths (75 percent) of crash fatalities involved a drunk driver.
- In 2017, 32 percent of pedestrians killed in crashes had blood alcohol concentrations of .08 or higher.
- During the entire year of 2017, drunk driving killed more than 10,000 people nationwide.
Celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day With a Plan
The best way to make sure you have a fun and successful St. Patrick’s Day is to celebrate with a plan. That means you should have a plan for a safe ride home before you start drinking. This can be as simple as designating a driver or planning to call a taxi at the end of the night. Planning ahead of time can ensure you get home easily and safely after a fun night of partying. Pre-program a cab company’s number into your phone or download a ridesharing app. Don’t wait until the last minute to try to find a ride at the end of the night.
After a Drunk Driving Accident in California
After any kind of injury accident involving a drunk driver, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer about your case. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving a drunk driver in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team atat 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.