Pedestrian Safety and Cell Phone Use Research
We hear about the dangers of distracted driving all of the time, but what about distracted walking? Recent research from the University of Calgary in Canada found some pretty disturbing information regarding pedestrian safety and cellphone use. According to their findings, the researchers found that cell phones are becoming a factor in the 270,000 pedestrians that are killed each year worldwide. The latest emerging safety issues facing pedestrians on roadways in the U.S. and all over the world is using their cell phones while walking and crossing the street, so this is a very important safety topic.
U.S. Pedestrian Crash Stats
- In 2017, there were 5,977 pedestrians killed in crashes across the U.S.
- Between 2016 and 2017, there was a 1.7-percent decrease in U.S. pedestrian fatalities.
- On average in 2017, one pedestrian was killed every 88 minutes.
- In 2017, pedestrian fatalities accounted for 16 percent of all traffic fatalities.
- Nearly one-fifth (19 percent) of the children ages 14 and younger killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians in 2017.
- In 2017, 91 percent of the pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes involving only one vehicle.
Don’t Text and Walk
Safety advocates are urging pedestrians to put their phones away. Pedestrians are still one of the most vulnerable roadway user groups. Whether you’re walking beside the roadway or crossing in a crosswalk, you need to remain vigilant and cautious about the traffic around you. Unfortunately, you can’t just count on motorists to be looking out for you and driving safely. Many of them may be texting behind the wheel as it is!
Pedestrian Accidents in San Diego
Even with vigilance and safe walking habits, pedestrians are truly at the mercy of motorists nearby. If drivers are distracted, they’re not watching out for pedestrians and other vulnerable roadway users. After any kind of pedestrian accident, it’s a good idea to speak with a Personal Injury lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to compensation to cover medical bills and other costs associated with your injuries.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today.