Register Your Car Seat
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has recently released a Car Seat Finder Tool to help increase child passenger safety across the country. After wrapping up Child Passenger Safety Week, the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) is hoping parents and caregivers will download and utilize the new features available on their Safercar mobile app. Parents will be able to search for age and size-appropriate car seats and register their car seats to keep up with manufacturer safety updates and recalls.
Improving Safety for Child Passengers
The NHTSA is quick to point out that every 34 seconds, a child under the age of 13 is involved in a crash. More disturbingly, over a third of all children killed in crashes were not in car seats or buckled up at the time of the crash. The NHTSA’s new Car Seat Finder Tool makes choosing the appropriate car seat incredibly easy. All you have to do is enter information about your child’s age, size, and weight, and the tool takes all the guesswork out of finding the right car seat. The specialized search engine automatically generates a variety of car seats that are size and age appropriate for your child.
Child Passenger Safety Tips
• Make sure your child is in the right car seat for his or her age and size.
• Read all instructions and labels carefully to ensure proper installation and usage of the car seat.
• Register your car seat with the manufacturer.
• Get your car seat inspected and checked by a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician at your local car seat inspection station.
• Use the lower anchors and tethers for child restraint systems or seat belt to install your car seats and use the top tether to secure forward-facing car seats.
• Be sure all children under the age of 13 are seated and properly restrained in the back seat.
• Set a good example by always buckling up!
“Don’t Delay. Register Your Car Seat Today.”
It isn’t enough to just find the perfect car seat. Parents and caregivers need to stay up-to-date with news from car seat manufacturers. It’s absolutely critical to register your child’s car seat with the manufacturer. This is the best way to ensure you receive important notifications regarding safety recalls. Don’t worry about tracking down a manufacturer’s website. The NHTSA will do that for you too! “Don’t Delay. Register Your Car Seat Today!”