If you are comfortable on your or a family member or friend’s boat, then you may not consider the dangers. You may underestimate everything that can go wrong, from a slip and fall on deck, a person overboard, or a collision with another vessel. It is easy to think every venture out onto the water will be fine because the previous times have ended well. Unfortunately, boating accidents happen and can lead to serious injuries and fatalities.
If you were injured on a boat, or your loved one was the victim of a deadly accident, we recommend you call our Santa Monica boat accident lawyers at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers. Our team of highly experienced and skilled personal injury and wrongful death attorneys can explain your rights, and when appropriate, guide you through a claim for compensation.
We understand the importance of meeting an attorney face-to-face and deciding if they are the right person to represent you. That is why we offer free confidential consultations, and if you cannot come to our office, we will come to you.
Our Santa Monica Boating Accident Lawyers Handle Cases Involving:
- Impaired Operation of a Boat: If you were injured in an accident because the person operating the boat was impaired due to alcohol, drugs, or both, we recommend you call us right away. It is illegal to operate a boat while intoxicated, same as it is illegal to drink and drive.
- Speeding: If someone was operating the boat at too great of speeds and lost control or caused you to be thrown from the vessel, contact Harris Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible. Many people assume that boats do not have speed limits like cars. However, there are rules of the water, and there are speeds that are inappropriate for certain weather and traffic conditions.
- Defective Equipment: Many boats are complex vehicles and rely on several systems to operate safely. If one or more of these systems is defective and fails, you and your companions may be more likely to collide with another vessel or object or run aground. If you believe a boat system failed, call us to discuss investigating the incident and determining who was responsible for the defective equipment.
- Vessel Collisions: If you were injured when another vessel collided with your own, call us right away. We will thoroughly investigate what went wrong, including whether the other boat operator was impaired or if the other vessel was defective.
- Propeller Incidents: If you were injured or a loved one was killed after being struck by a propeller, call us immediately to discuss your options. We will investigate and determine if the boat operator is guilty of negligent operation of the boat, such as backing up without checking behind the boat.
- Ejection From the Boat: If the operator of a boat is careless or reckless, and you are thrown from the boat and injured, call a boat accident attorney in Santa Monica to discuss your rights. We also handle wrongful death claims in which a person ejected from a boat drowns.
- Capsizing: When a negligent operator of a boat, or a defective vessel, causes the boat to capsize, and you are injured, give us a call. We have worked on cases in which people are injured or killed because a boat capsized.
- Legal and Regulatory Violations: If we discover the operator of a boat violated one or more California boating laws in connection with the accident, we will use this to hold them responsible for your injuries.
How Harris Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You After Your Boating Accident
One of the reasons you should contact a Santa Monica boat accident lawyer after a serious or fatal accident is to have someone who will thoroughly investigate. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we will promptly perform an in-depth investigation into the boat owner and operator and the condition of the vessel. We will gather as much evidence as possible to determine what went wrong and identify the liable party.
We also will handle the insurance company. If the at-fault party is insured, their insurer may contact you for a statement. It is better for you to politely refuse until you have spoken with an attorney. An insurer will try to use any statement against you to deny the claim or limit your compensation.
Our boating accident lawyers in Santa Monica will make sure the insurance company receives the proper documentation and proof of your injuries. We will challenge an insurer’s conclusions whenever necessary, and if your claim is approved, we will negotiate for the maximum compensation possible.
If the negligent party lacks insurance or the insurer refuses to settle, then we may recommend taking your claim to court. By filing a personal injury or wrongful death suit, you are given the opportunity to prove the other party is liable for your injuries and demand full and fair compensation. If you go to trial, a jury will decide whether you should receive an award, and if so, how much.
We are proud to have helped more than 5,000 clients win more than $300 million in settlements and court rulings.
Call Our Boat Accident Attorneys in Santa Monica Today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS
If you or a loved one was in a boating accident, and now you have questions, we want you to give us a call. We are available 24/7 to take your call and schedule your free, no-risk consultation.