Whether you live in or were visiting Santa Monica, it is natural to want to get out and move around without a vehicle. You may have walked to and from the beach, strolled around shopping, or simply went for a run. Whatever you were doing, you did not expect to be involved in a pedestrian accident and suffer injuries. But when this situation happens, the best thing you can do for yourself is contact an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Santa Monica.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our pedestrian attorneys are here to help when you were injured while on foot. Whether you were at the foot of your driveway, on a jogging path, or crossing the street, we can help you hold the at-fault person responsible through litigation and an insurance claim.
In most pedestrian accidents, a motorist is to blame. Whether a driver caused the accident or someone else, we want to help you obtain full and fair compensation for your injuries. We have helped more than 5,000 clients receive more than $300 million in settlements and court rulings.
To talk with us about how we can help and the potential value of your claim, contact us at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. You also can use our online contact form to request your free consultations.
Our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Handle All Types of Accident Cases
A majority of pedestrian accident cases arise because of vehicle-pedestrian collisions caused by negligent drivers.
However, at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we also handle pedestrian accidents involving people on bikes, scooters, electric scooters, skateboards, and wearing roller-blades. We have handled many injury claims because someone on some type of vehicle collided with a pedestrian. If you were involved in one of these unique situations, never hesitate to call us to discuss your injuries and options.
Common Causes of Vehicle-Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians are often placed in danger because of:
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving due to drugs and/or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Defective traffic signs and signals
- Poorly designed roads
- Lack of appropriated traffic signs or signals
- Driving without headlights at dusk, night, or dawn
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to look for pedestrians in crosswalks
If you or a loved one were struck by a car, we recommend calling a Santa Monica pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we will promptly begin an in-depth investigation into the accident to determine the cause of the crash. We will gather as much evidence as possible, including the police report, photos of the aftermath of the crash, any surveillance video showing the crash, and eyewitness testimony. If the cause of the crash is in question, we may hire an expert accident reconstructionist to establish what must have happened in the minutes leading up to the collision.
Steps to Take After a Vehicle-Pedestrian Accident in Santa Monica, CA
After a pedestrian accident in which you or a loved one are hit by a car, we recommend that you:
- Call 911: You want the police and paramedics to arrive on the scene as quickly as possible. The emergency responders can provide medical care while the police control traffic and gather the initial evidence regarding what happened.
- Document the scene: Use your phone to take as many pictures and videos of the accident scene and your injuries as you can.
- Exchange information: Ask for the driver’s name, contact information, and insurance information. If the driver drove away, make a note of as much as you can remember, such as the make and model of the car, the license plate number, what the driver looked like, and where the vehicle may have sustained damage.
- Ask for witnesses’ information: If there were any witnesses who stopped to help, ask for their names and contact information. Your Santa Monica pedestrian accident lawyer will likely contact them for their statements.
- Get medical care: We recommend you go to the emergency room for a full exam. If you choose to not go to the ER, then see a physician as soon as possible and tell them you were struck by a car. You may have injuries that are not readily visible or do not present themselves right away.
- Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Santa Monica: When another person is responsible for an accident and your injuries, we recommend you talk to a lawyer right away.
Compensation for Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
If you were injured because of someone else’s negligence, then through a personal injury claim, you can demand compensation for your:
- Medical Expenses
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Reduced Earning Capacity
- Reduced Quality of Life
- Loss of Consortium
Let Our Santa Monica Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Help You
When you are injured through no fault of your own, you should not have to bear all of the repercussions of the accident alone. You can and should take steps to hold the at-fault party responsible. By working with an attorney from Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, you have someone to handle the personal injury lawsuit and insurance claim processes for you and to fight for the compensation you deserve.
To talk with us, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.