The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) Office of Public Affairs wants motorists across the state to Share the Road and Arrive Alive. This public safety campaign is all about raising awareness about the importance of driving attentively and sharing the road with all different types of roadway users. Cyclists, pedestrians and motor vehicle drivers are encouraged to lookout for one another and follow the rules of the road to ensure everybody gets to their destinations safely. Listed below are some of Caltrans’ important safety tips for drivers, riders and pedestrians.
Driving Safety Tips
- Don’t text and drive.
- Watch out for other roadway users.
- Give cyclists, pedestrians and motorcycle riders plenty of room.
- Check for cyclists before opening your car door.
- Watch for commuting cyclists at onramps.
- Be especially vigilant for cyclists and pedestrians at night, when they may be less visible.
Cyclist Safety Tips
- Always wear a helmet.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing.
- Use headlights and reflectors at night.
- Be predictable.
- Signal before changing directions
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Look both ways and over your shoulder before crossing the street.
- Make sure drivers see you.
- Beware of turning vehicles.
- Don’t enter a crosswalk until you’re ready to cross.
- Always wear bright or reflective clothing at night.
- Don’t text and walk.
- Face traffic when walking.
Distracted Driving in California
Ultimately, it’s up to drivers to put down the phones and focus on the task at hand. If drivers are distracted, they’re not looking out for their fellow roadway users. Equally important, cyclists and pedestrians need to remain focused on getting where they’re going safely. Don’t be temped to walk and talk or text at the same time. You never know if other drivers are paying attention, and you may need to jump to safety if a distracted driver swerves onto the sidewalk or shoulder.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident in San Diego or anywhere along the Central Coast, contact the skilled and proven team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. at 1.800.GO.HARRIS for a free case consultation today. Whether you walk, ride or drive… Share the Road, Arrive Alive.