Sierra Madre Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Sierra Madre Wrongful Death Attorneys
The unexpected loss of a loved one is always tragic, but it can be particularly devastating when the loss was due to another person’s negligence. Our compassionate wrongful death attorneys understand the emotional trauma you are facing and are here to help you navigate this difficult season, get back on your feet, and properly grieve. We can help you explore all possible avenues of recovery and will not settle a case for an amount that is unsatisfactory to you. If needed, we will represent your interests in court by filing a lawsuit against the liable party.
Types of Wrongful Death Claims We Handle in Sierra Madre
- Car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents
- Accidents involving rideshare vehicles
- Turo accidents
- Scooter accidents
- Boating accidents
- Train accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Aircraft accidents
- Bus accidents
- Premises liability cases resulting in wrongful death
- Other types of wrongful death cases
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
A personal representative of the deceased’s estate can bring a wrongful death claim in California. Other parties who stand to inherit the deceased’s property (if the deceased passed without a will) may also be able to bring a claim.
For instance, in California, the deceased’s surviving spouse would have a right to file a wrongful death action. If the deceased was unmarried, then his or her children could bring the claim, followed by any stepchildren, minors who lived with him or her for at least half a year, and the deceased’s parents, siblings and their children, grandparents, and “next of kin.”
What Damages Are Available?
Compensation for wrongful death will vary based on the unique circumstances of your case. Generally, you may be able to recover compensatory damages and exemplary damages.
- Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic losses. An example of an economic loss is lost income, property damage, and medical expenses, while a non-economic injury would involve emotional trauma, distress, and pain and suffering.
- Exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages,” are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary and is not available in every case.
We Offer Free Case Consultations Daily
Our attorneys have a long history of compassionately and competently representing the family members of wrongful death victims. When you meet with us, we will ask you a series of questions to determine whether you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim and if so, how to proceed. Some of these questions might include:
- How did the accident or incident unfold?
- Did your loved one receive any medical treatment between the accident and his or her death?
- Have you gathered any evidence to support your claim? If so, what?
- Have you spoken with the opposing party or his insurance company? What was the extent of your communications?
- Have you saved or recorded any of your conversations with the other parties or with eyewitnesses?
- Did you speak with anyone else about the accident or the circumstances surrounding it? What other evidence might be available in this case?
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our compassionate attorneys are here to take over the logistics of your case so that you can focus on more important matters, like honoring your loved one’s memory. We will do all we can do alleviate your stress and help you recover the compensation you need to get back on your feet. To schedule a free case consultation with us, we welcome you to send us a message online or to call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.