Studio City Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Studio City Wrongful Death Attorneys
A sudden death is always tragic, but it can be particularly devastating when the loss was due to another person’s negligence.
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, our wrongful death attorneys understand the emotional trauma you are facing in the wake of a family member’s death. We are here to help you navigate this difficult season, to get back on your feet, and to properly grieve. If needed, we will represent your interests in court by filing a lawsuit against the liable party.
Types of Claims Our Wrongful Death Attorneys Handle
- Car, truck, bicycle, and motorcycle accidents
- Accidents involving rideshare vehicles
- Turo accidents
- Scooter accidents
- Boating accidents
- Train accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Aircraft accidents
- Bus accidents
- Premises liability cases resulting in wrongful death
- Other types of wrongful death cases
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
A personal representative of the deceased’s estate can bring a wrongful death claim in California. Other parties who stand to inherit the deceased’s property (if the deceased passed without a will) may also be able to bring a claim.
For instance, the deceased’s surviving spouse would have a right to file a wrongful death action. If the deceased was unmarried, then his or her children could bring the claim, followed by any stepchildren, minors who lived with him or her for at least half a year, and the deceased’s parents, siblings and their children, grandparents, and “next of kin.”
What Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Your compensation in a wrongful death case will vary based on the unique circumstances. Generally, you may be able to recover compensatory damages and exemplary damages.
- Compensatory damages cover both economic and non-economic losses. An example of an economic loss is lost income, property damage, and medical expenses, while a non-economic injury would involve emotional trauma, distress, and pain and suffering.
- Exemplary damages, also known as “punitive damages,” are applied in a few unique circumstances in which the other party’s conduct was extremely negligent or egregious. An exemplary damages award tends to be discretionary.
Our Team Offers Free Case Consultations Daily.
Our wrongful death attorneys have a track record of compassionately representing the family members of wrongful death victims. When you sit down with us for a case review, we will start by asking you a series of questions to determine whether you have grounds to bring a wrongful death claim and if so, how to proceed. We understand that it may be painful to answer these questions, but they are necessary to help you build a case for the compensation you need to properly grieve and move forward.
Some of these questions might include:
- How did your loved one die?
- How did the accident or incident unfold?
- Did your loved one receive any medical treatment between the incident and his or her death?
- Have you gathered any evidence to support your claim? If so, what?
- Have you spoken with the opposing party or his insurance company? What was the extent of your communications?
- Have you saved or recorded any of your conversations with the other parties or with eyewitnesses?
Our compassionate attorneys are here to take over the logistics of your case so that you can focus on honoring your loved one’s memory. To schedule a free case consultation with us, we welcome you to send us a message online or to call our 24-hour phone line at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.