Castaic Wrongful Death Attorneys
Losing a loved one to an accident is a heartbreaking experience, but this loss can feel especially devastating if their death was the result of someone else’s negligent or reckless actions. While filing a wrongful death case cannot undo the trauma you’ve endured, it can help give you the funds you need to pick up the pieces in the aftermath of your sudden loss. At HPIL, our Castaic wrongful death attorneys are here to help.
Our team is available to take your calls 24/7. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS to request a free case assessment.
How Can a Wrongful Death Attorney Assist with My Case?
If you’ve lost a loved one, you may be wondering whether it’s worth hiring a wrongful death attorney to assist with filing your claim. As the damages in such cases can add up to a substantial financial award, the insurance company will have a strong incentive to commit significant time and resources towards disputing your claim. Hiring a seasoned attorney could help level the playing field, giving you access to tenacious representation from day one.
Let’s take a look at a few ways our attorneys may be able to assist with your wrongful death case:
- Gather Evidence: Much of the proof necessary to build a convincing wrongful death claim might only be available for a few days or weeks after your loved one’s death. For example, if he or she was killed in a bus wreck, it’s possible that a dashcam or surveillance camera captured footage of the accident, but these videos are routinely erased or overwritten after just a few days. When you hire a skilled wrongful death attorney, he or she can immediately begin investigating the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death and collect the necessary evidence to prove liability, causation, and damages. If someone refuses to hand over valuable evidence, your attorney can file subpoenas to obtain any proof that is being withheld.
- Handle Dialogue with the Insurer: The claims adjuster will not offer you a settlement until they’ve had a chance to thoroughly investigate the incident. As part of their investigation, they may request a recorded statement from you and other members of your family. Unfortunately, anything you say during this interview could be used as evidence to challenge your claim. As such, it might be in your best interests to let your attorney oversee all correspondence with the insurance company.
- Approximate a Fair Settlement: Your attorney can investigate the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death to determine which types of damages might be available to you and your family. Estimating fair compensation in a wrongful death case can be incredibly complicated because it’s often important to consider future losses such as the deceased’s financial contributions. A variety of factors such as the age, health, and career trajectory of the deceased could affect the value of such losses. A skilled wrongful death attorney will know to perform these approximations, and can consult with expert witnesses if necessary to estimate at an accurate amount.
- Help You Avoid Mistakes: There are many different errors, oversights, and missteps that could sink your claim. For instance, posting about the accident that led to your loved one’s death could give the insurer ammunition to dispute your case. Alternatively, accepting a settlement that doesn’t account for all recoverable damages could deprive you of the funds you need to get your life back on track.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Cases
Accidents are commonplace in California, with many leading to fatalities. According to statistics published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2019, more than 15,000 people were killed as a result of personal injuries in California alone.
At HPIL, we have decades of collective experience representing the families of wrongful death victims. While we know no amount of money can fill the void left behind in the wake of your loved one’s death, pursuing a wrongful death claim against the liable parties could help give you a sense of justice.
Let’s take a look at a few the different types of wrongful cases we’ve handled in the past:
- Truck Accidents: An 18-wheeler can cause serious damage when it collides with a smaller vehicle. Unsurprisingly, motorists are often killed in these wrecks. While the trucker isn’t always liable, if it can be shown that he or she was driving recklessly, failed to maintain their vehicle, or their employer was negligent, you may be able to recover compensation for your loved one’s death.
- Road Wrecks: Whether the deceased was a cyclist struck by a motorist or commuting to work in their car when they were killed, road accidents are a leading cause of wrongful deaths in the country.
- Slip and Falls: When a property owner, manager, or staff members fail to clear dangerous hazards from their premises, they could be held accountable if someone is injured or killed on their property.
- Public Transport Accidents: While public transport is usually safer than hitting the road alone, accidents can and do still happen. Whether it’s driver error or lack of oversight, you may be able to file a claim against the vehicle operator and/or their employer.
Discuss Your Case with a Wrongful Death Attorney in Castaic
If you cannot visit our offices, we will send our attorneys to you. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS or head over to our online contact page HERE to secure a free case review.