Downey Dog Bite Attorneys
Downey Dog Bite Attorneys
Dogs are a favorite pet, providing both companionship and protection to their owners. However, even the friendliest dog can get aggressive in certain situations. When dog bites in Downey happen as a result, Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. help you get the compensation you need to recover. Our experienced Downey dog bite attorneys are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide the professional legal representation you need in filing a claim against negligent dog owners. Our top case results reveal settlements and jury awards worth millions of dollars. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today to request a free consultation.
Our Downey Dog Bite Owners Help You Get The Compensation For Your Injuries
Under the Downey Municipal Code, there are strict rules dog owners must follow. In addition to making sure pets are properly licensed, they are also required to keep them leashed in public places and under their control at all times. When they fail to do so, serious dog bites and attacks can occur as a result. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we help you hold the dog's owner accountable and get compensation for injuries you suffer. Common types of injuries suffered by clients in cases our Downey dog bite attorneys represent include:
- Deep cuts and scratches caused by the dog’s claws, which can cause permanent scars;
- Puncture wounds caused by the dog’s teeth, which can damage muscles, tendons, and internal organs;
- Tearing wounds due to the viciousness of an attack, which can result in the loss of limbs;
- Rabies, pasteurella, and other types of diseases or infections caused by bacteria in the dog’s saliva.
Victims of dog bites in Downey can also suffer post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the aftermath. This can cause a host of symptoms, including sleep disorders, depression, and anxiety attacks.
What Should You Do If A Dog Bites or Attacks?
Dog bites and attacks are unfortunately common in our area. According to the local Department of Public Health, more than 20,000 people are bitten by dogs in Los Angeles County each year, with more than half of these cases involving children. Even an otherwise friendly dog can turn on you if it is scared, hungry, hurt, or startled. In the unfortunate event a dog bite or attack does happen, it is important to take certain steps in the aftermath. To protect yourself and your rights. Harris Personal Injury Lawyers recommend the following:
- Notify the police immediately;
- Make note of the direction the dog went after the attack;
- Get a description of the dog and the owner, as well as contact information for any witnesses at the scene;
- Seek medical care as soon as possible, regardless of the severity of your injuries or symptoms.
In the days immediately after, we encourage you to contact our Downey dog bite attorneys. While you focus on recovering from your injuries, we can focus on getting you the compensation you are entitled to in a claim.
How Do I Get Compensation For Dog Bite Injuries?
Some states follow what is known as the ‘one free bite’ rule. This protects dog owners from liability if their dog showed no violent behavior or aggressive tendencies in the past. Fortunately, this does not apply in California. Under Section 3342 of the California Civil Code, dog owners can be held liable for expenses you suffer as a result of dog bites in Downey, even if they had no indication the dog might cause harm. Depending on the situation, their home owner’s or rental insurance policies may cover some expenses. At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, you can count on our legal team to aggressively negotiate with insurance representatives on your behalf with the goal of getting you the maximum amount in any settlements. If insurance is unavailable or fails to cover your costs, our Downey dog bite attorneys can assist you in filing a lawsuit against the dog owner and anyone else involved. Compensation you may be entitled to includes:
- Coverage of current medical expenses and any future medical costs you are likely to incur;
- Reimbursement for lost wages and future losses in income due to ongoing impairments;
- Compensation for pain, suffering, disfigurement, and any loss of enjoyment in life your injuries cause;
- Punitive damages, which is an additional amount available if the dog’s owner acted in a particularly willful and aggressive manner, such as knowingly letting an aggressive dog run free or ordering them to attack.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS Today To Request A Consultation
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC., we typically handle dog bite cases on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no attorney fees unless we get money for you. Let us help you get the compensation you need to recover. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or contact our Downey dog bite attorneys online today to request a consultation.