Irvine Personal Injury Lawyers | Accident Attorneys
Our Irvine personal injury lawyers understand how confusing and complex the aftermath of a serious accident can be. Besides dealing with physical pain and emotional trauma, you might feel overwhelmed by the thought of taking legal action. Our attorneys can help you navigate every stage of the proceedings and take the necessary steps to maximize the potential value of your claim.
We will devote the time, effort, and resources needed to pursue the best possible outcome for you and your family. When you’re ready to discuss your situation, call our office at 1-800-GO-HARRIS to schedule a free initial consultation.
Types of Accident Injury Claims We Handle in Irvine, California
- Car Crashes
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Public, Tour, and Other Bus Accidents
- Scooter Injuries
- Boating Injuries
- 18-Wheeler Accidents
- Rideshare Vehicle Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Dog Attacks
- Train Wrecks
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Airplane Accidents
- Serious Burn Injuries
- Brain Trauma
- Spinal Injuries
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Accidents Involving Turo Vehicles
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
When Might an Insurance Company Dispute a Personal Injury Claim?
When you file an insurance claim, whether it’s for property damage or a bodily injury, the insurer has incentive to minimize the value of the settlement or deny the claim outright. Although there are laws in place that require insurance companies to act in good faith, there are still many circumstances when an insurer might dispute liability or damages.
Let’s explore a few common reasons why an insurance company might dispute a personal injury claim:
- You Delayed Seeking Medical Care: If you don’t take your healthcare seriously—either by delaying the diagnosis or ignoring your doctor’s instructions—the insurer might contend that you’ve failed to mitigate your damages. This could lead to a reduction in your financial award.
- You Had a Pre-Existing Condition: Although you can pursue compensation for damages if you had a pre-existing condition that was aggravated by an accident, the insurer might still argue that you’re just pursuing compensation for medical bills you would have incurred regardless of the accident. If such a dispute arises, your Irvine personal injury lawyer might use medical records and expert witness testimony to overcome it.
- You Provided a Recorded Statement: It’s common for claims adjusters to ask questions that are specifically intended to get claimants to provide statements that can be used to dispute liability or damages. It’s important that you let your Irvine personal injury attorney handle all such correspondence.
- You Made a Critical Mistake: There are dozens of mistakes that could potentially harm your case. Examples include putting off the medical evaluation, discussing your case on social media, or admitting fault.
- Your Evidence Is Weak: Insurance companies aren’t in the business of paying out settlements unless they absolutely have to. If you don’t have strong evidence to support your claim, it’s likely that a dispute will arise.
- The Claim Isn’t Covered by the Policy: Every insurance policy has certain exclusions. The insurance company won’t pay out benefits unless the damages are covered by the policy.
- The Policyholder Didn’t Pay the Premiums: Just because the at-fault party provided you with insurance details at the scene doesn’t mean the policy is active. If he or she didn’t pay the premiums on time, for example, it’s possible that the claim will be denied.
- The Statute of Limitations Has Passed: There are deadlines for filing personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits in the state of California. Once the deadline that applies to your case has passed, the insurance company probably won’t pay out benefits since your lawsuit would be dismissed from court. Many attorneys won’t even accept cases unless they have enough time to conduct a thorough investigation and prepare for settlement negotiations, which can require several months in some circumstances. As such, it’s important that you consult with a lawyer and initiate the proceedings as soon as possible.
- There’s Disagreement Regarding Liability or Damages: We’ve already discussed a few reasons why the insurance company might dispute liability or damages, but there are many others. If, for example, multiple parties were liable for your injuries, the insurer might dispute the percentage of fault assigned to their policyholder. If you’re pursuing compensation for future medical bills or loss of earning capacity, the insurer might challenge the settlement calculations. No matter how certain you are that another party caused your injuries, a dispute could still arise and threaten the outcome of your claim. This is why it’s critical to enlist the help of an Irvine personal injury lawyer who will invest the time and resources needed to prepare for all eventualities.
Set Up a Free Case Review with Our Irvine Personal Injury Lawyers
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, we believe that accident victims deserve to be fairly compensated within a reasonable amount of time. Not only will we fight for the highest possible settlement, but we will also strive to resolve your claim without any unnecessary delays. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our contact page to schedule a free, no-obligation case review.