Our Santa Ynez personal injury attorneys are dedicated to helping accident victims and their families pursue the compensation they deserve. We understand how stressful the aftermath of a serious injury or the wrongful death of a loved one can be, and we will do everything in our power to fight for the settlement you need to move on with life. We’ve recovered more than $300 million for clients throughout California, but we’re still dedicated to providing the personal touch of a small, local practice. Your attorney will be accessible to you throughout the proceedings and will devote the time and effort needed to build the strongest claim possible. For a free consultation, call our office today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS. You can reach us 24/7.
Types of Cases Our Santa Ynez Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
- Motorbike Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Crashes
- Big-Rig Accidents
- Public, Tour, and Other Bus Accidents
- Accidents Involving Rideshare Vehicles
- Turo Accidents
- Aircraft Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Premises Liability
- Dog Attacks
- Serious Burns
- Brain Injuries
- Spinal Injuries
- Train Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Scooter Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Other Personal Injuries
How Soon Should I Visit a Doctor?
If your injuries don’t seem that serious, you might be reluctant to take time out of your day to undergo a medical evaluation. Unfortunately, if you wait too long to get an official diagnosis, this could cause major problems when it comes time to file a claim. It’s important that you visit a physician as soon as possible—preferably on the same day as your accident. If you put off your medical assessment and found out later that your injuries are serious, you may still be able to recover compensation for your healthcare bills and other damages; however, the insurance adjuster might dispute the cause of your injuries. It’s especially important in this scenario that you consult a Santa Ynez personal injury lawyer right away because you’ll need strong evidence to prove causation—i.e. that the alleged tortfeasor’s wrongdoing was the proximate cause of your damages. Our attorneys can help you gather this evidence, which may include the police report, video footage of the incident, photos of the scene and injuries, medical records, and eyewitness statements. If necessary, we can apply legal pressure to collect evidence that’s being withheld, and we can bring in accident reconstruction experts and other specialists to help with the investigation and provide testimony. Another potential consequence of putting off your medical care is the insurance company might argue that you’ve failed to mitigate your damages. If your own negligence causes your injury to worsen—i.e. if your failure to seek prompt medical attention allowed your condition to progress—the claims adjuster might contend that you’re not entitled to compensation for 100 percent of your damages. However, it may be possible to prove that a reasonable person would not have known they were injured given the type of injury you sustained and its severity. Your lawyer can also investigate whether your prognosis would have been the same if you had sought immediate care.
Damages in California Personal Injury Cases
Under California law, personal injury victims can pursue compensation for any economic and non-economic damages they incur. Such damages may include:
- Healthcare Costs: You can seek compensation for emergency care, hospitalization, diagnostic imaging, prescription medications, surgeries, and other reasonable and necessary medical expenses related to your injuries. You can also pursue compensation for the healthcare costs you’re reasonably certain to incur in the future.
- Lost Earnings: Lost wages and loss of future earning capacity often account for a considerable portion of a personal injury settlement. If necessary, our Santa Ynez personal injury attorneys can bring in economic experts to determine a fair value for lost earning capacity.
- Other Economic Damages: Your claim can account for any reasonable and necessary economic damages that were a direct result of your accident including property repairs or replacement, home modifications, transportation, and domestic assistance.
- Non-Economic Damages: California law allows personal injury victims to pursue compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and lost enjoyment in life. If your spouse or registered domestic partner was seriously injured or died, you might also be able to seek compensation for loss of consortium.
If the defendant’s misconduct constituted oppression, fraud, or malice, punitive damages might also be available. Our Santa Ynez personal injury attorneys can perform a detailed investigation to identify all potentially recoverable damages and make sure they’re included in your claim.
Speak with Our Santa Ynez Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you’re facing emotional, physical, and financial hardship after a serious accident, turn to Harris Personal Injury Lawyers. We will serve as your aggressive legal advocate through every step of the claims process. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or use our Online Contact Form to set up a free consultation.