Bakersfield Truck Accident Attorneys
Bakersfield Truck Accident Attorneys
Due to the size and weight of large commercial trucks, these vehicles must be operated with meticulous diligence because if an accident happens, serious injuries are likely to result. If you’re reading this, chances are you or a member of your family has already experienced the devastating trauma that such a wreck can cause. If you’d like to pursue monetary damages from the liable party, contact our Bakersfield truck accident attorneys for a free consultation. It is often the case that motor carriers can be held vicariously liable for the negligence of the truck drivers they employ. Although these companies usually have robust insurance policies, the adjuster will be looking for reasons to deny or undervalue your claim. Our lawyers won’t let the adjuster take advantage of you; we will aggressively fight for the highest settlement possible. Dial 1-800-GO-HARRIS today to set up a free case review.
What Kinds of Truck Accident Cases Does Harris Personal Injury Lawyers Accept?
There are countless ways a truck accident might happen and multiple parties who might be at fault. The facts surrounding your crash, the injuries you sustained, and many other factors will be unique to your particular case, so it is important that you hire an attorney who has the experience to provide tactful and personalized representation. Our lawyers can assist with the following kinds of truck accident cases:
- Accidents due to fatigue or distraction
- Accidents due to cargo shifting or spilling onto the roadway
- Accidents involving a tire blowout
- Blind spot-related accidents
- Truck rollover accidents
- Wrongful death truck accident cases
- Other truck accident claims
What Legal Terms Might I Encounter During the Proceedings?
The process of bringing a truck accident claim can be incredibly stressful. People tend to feel anxious when thrust into unfamiliar situations, and since your claim might have a profound impact on your financial future, it’s only natural to lose sleep over the proceedings. Fortunately, there are many potential ways to reduce the stress that you and your loved ones are experiencing. Meeting with a Bakersfield truck accident lawyer, for example, may help to alleviate some of your anxiety since you will have an opportunity to ask questions about your case, the possible outcomes, and what to expect throughout the proceedings. Learning about the terms you will likely encounter can also make the claims process far less taxing. Below we’ve defined a few important terms pertaining to truck accident cases:
- Vicarious Liability: Under some circumstances, employers in California can be held legally responsible for damages caused by the negligence of employees who are acting within the scope of their employment. This is called “vicarious liability.” This term is particularly relevant in truck accident cases since it may be possible to seek compensation not only from the truck driver but also from his or her employer. This might increase the available insurance coverage from which you can pursue damages which, depending on the facts of your case, may increase the chances of obtaining compensation for 100 percent of your damages.
- Negligence: This term refers to one party’s breach of the duty of care owed to another party. The majority of truck accident claims are filed on the basis of negligence, meaning that the defendant (or one of its employees) breached the duty of care owed to the claimant (or to the decedent in the case of wrongful death). Examples of negligence include speeding, operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, taking illegal turns, and violating the Hours of Service regulations.
- Compensatory Damages: In the state of California, personal injury victims have the right to pursue both non-economic and economic damages. While non-economic damages refer to the intangible consequences of a tort such as pain and suffering, economic damages comprise the objectively verifiable costs stemming from the tort such as lost income and medical bills. Together, non-economic and economic damages compose “compensatory damages.”
- Discovery Phase: Once you hire a truck accident attorney in Bakersfield, an investigation will be conducted to gather evidence and uncover the facts of your case. Then, your attorney will try to reach a settlement with the opposing party. If no settlement can be reached, your case may proceed to litigation. This is when the “discovery phase” would begin, during which the attorneys for both the plaintiff and defense will learn about the opposing party’s claims and defenses. Documents and evidence may be exchanged, and various witnesses may be deposed. If a settlement cannot be reached after the discovery phase, your case may proceed to alternative dispute resolution (ADR). If a settlement is not reached through ADR, your case may proceed to trial.
Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS to Speak with a Truck Accident Lawyer in Bakersfield
Our attorneys can help you navigate every step of the legal system and fight for the compensation you need to get your life back. For a free case review, send us a message or call 1-800-GO-HARRIS.