After most crashes involving passenger cars, the drivers involved exchange insurance information, take pictures of the scene, and walk away unscathed. But when a pedestrian gets hit by a motor vehicle, the resulting injuries are often catastrophic. The Monterey pedestrian accident attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers have seen firsthand just how devastating the aftermath of these collisions can be, and we are ready to help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Our lawyers have many decades of combined experience representing injured pedestrians and their families. We have assisted more than 5,000 clients and won over $300,000,000 in personal injury and wrongful death cases. To schedule a free initial consultation, call us today at 1-800-GO-HARRIS.
Our Monterey Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Have Years of Experience with Pedestrian Accident Cases
Most drivers know the dangers of operating a vehicle while distracted, yet millions of people send text messages, eat behind the wheel, and engage in other reckless behaviors that deter their focus from the road. When these careless acts result in a pedestrian crash, the victim may have the right to pursue compensation for medical bills, lost income, and other damages.
Our team has the courtroom experience and legal strategies to provide exceptional representation in the following types of cases:
- Pedestrian accidents caused by distracted driving;
- Pedestrian accidents caused by defective road signage and signals;
- Pedestrian accidents caused by drunk or drugged drivers;
- Claims involving brain trauma, paralysis, and other catastrophic injuries; and
- Pedestrian accidents resulting in wrongful death.
We Will Tailor Our Legal Strategies to the Facts of Your Case
The types of injuries you sustained, the costs you have incurred, the cause of your crash, and many other factors will be unique to your case. Therefore, it is important that you find a Monterey pedestrian accident lawyer who will tailor his or her legal strategies to the particular facts of your claim.
With many years of experience negotiating with insurance companies, the attorneys at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers know what it takes to help the injured pursue the maximum compensation. It requires thorough investigations and hours of exhaustive research. It may require filing subpoenas for evidence that is being withheld and bringing in expert witnesses to provide testimony.
Our attorneys will devote the time and resources needed to give your case the best possible chance of success. The same cannot be said for other law firms that treat each client like just another number. We will treat you like a member of our family and aggressively represent your interests through every stage of the proceedings.
Steps to Take After Getting Hit by a Vehicle as a Pedestrian
Just because you were hurt in a pedestrian accident doesn’t mean the insurer will do the right thing and approve your claim. Just like any other business, the goal of insurance companies is to maximize their profits, so they have incentive to find reasons to deny and undervalue any claims filed against them. Therefore, it is important that you are careful about what you say and do after a crash so you don’t give the insurer a reason to dispute your claim.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind after a pedestrian accident:
- Call Law Enforcement: The police will create an accident report that might corroborate your version of events. When speaking to the officer, you should only provide basic facts about what happened.
- Take Pictures: If you are able to do so, take photos of your injuries, any property damage, the road and weather conditions, skid marks, and any relevant traffic signage. Photos can tell the story of how the crash occurred and may serve as valuable evidence.
- Gather Information: Write down the insurance and contact details of the at-fault driver, and record the phone numbers and email addresses of any eyewitnesses.
- Visit a Doctor: You should undergo a medical evaluation as soon as possible to help your Monterey pedestrian accident lawyer tie your injuries to the crash and prove the severity of your damages. Be sure to follow your doctor’s treatment instructions exactly or else the insurance company might argue that your own negligence contributed to the severity of your injuries.
- Speak to a Personal Injury Attorney: Contact an injury lawyer before you speak to the insurance company. Any recorded statements you provide to the insurer may be used against you, so it is best to let your legal team handle this correspondence on your behalf.
Set up a FREE Consultation with Our Monterey Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Don’t let the insurance company coerce you into accepting a low settlement. Our pedestrian accident lawyers will aggressively represent your interests and make sure you are treated fairly. Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today to schedule a free case evaluation, or use our contact form to reach us online.