Merced Personal Injury Attorneys | Accident Lawyers
Merced Dog Bite Attorneys
Dogs have a reputation for being ‘man’s best friend’. Unfortunately, when dog owners fail to control their pets, serious personal injuries can occur. If you or someone you love is the victim of a dog bite or attack, you can count on Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, Inc. to help you get compensation in a claim.
Our Merced dog bite attorneys are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you hold the dogs owner responsible. Our top case results show settlements and jury awards worth hundreds of thousands of dollars on behalf of clients in dog bite claims. To request a free consultation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS today.
Let Our Merced Dog Bite Attorneys Help You
Dog bites in Merced occur on a regular basis. According to Merced County Animal Control, dangerous dogs pose a widespread threat, attacking without provocation and causing serious personal injuries to both children and adults.
At Harris Personal Injury Attorneys, we help victims in these cases hold dog owners accountable. Our Merced dog bite attorneys provide the aggressive legal representation you need when injuries occur in the following situations:
- When owners take potentially vicious dogs to stores, restaurants, or other public places;
- When they fail to provide proper leashing at parks and outdoor events;
- When they fail to properly secure the dog at home, allowing them to roam neighborhoods and apartment complexes;
- When they fail to want visitors to their property that a dangerous dog is on the premises.
What Are Common Dog Bite Injuries?
Any dog can turn vicious under certain types of circumstances. Even the mildest, most well-mannered dog may bite or attack if hungry, hurt, afraid, or feels their owner is threatened. When an attack does happen, the injuries you suffer can impact you for years into the future. While you focus on your recovery, Harris Personal Injury Lawyers focus on getting you the compensation you are entitled to in a claim.
As experienced Merced dog bite attorneys, we provide the trusted legal guidance injured victims and their families need. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), common types of dog bite injuries include:
- Deep cuts and scratches caused by the dog’s claws;
- Puncture wounds due to their teeth;
- Torn muscles and tendons, due to the severity of the dog’s bite;
- Broken bones, due to the strength of their jaws.
Contrary to popular myth, the saliva in a dog’s mouth can carry numerous types of bacteria. As a result, victims of dog bites can also suffer potentially deadly infections, including rabies, tetanus, and salmonella.
What Should I Do If A Dog Bite Happens?
If you come across a dog that looks dangerous or is about to bite, it is important to not make any sudden movements. If they do attack, curl yourself into a ball, protecting your hands and face, and try to shield yourself with a backpack, handbag, jacket, or other items you may be carrying with you. In the aftermath, notify police immediately and make sure a dog bite report is filed with the City of Merced Animal Control Unit. Seek medical attention as soon as possible and contact our Merced dog bite attorneys for help in filing a claim.
When dog bites happen, you may be entitled to compensation either through an insurance claim or through a civil lawsuit filed against the dog owners. Steps our legal team at Harris Personal Injury Lawyers can take on your behalf include:
- Collecting police and animal control reports;
- Canvassing the community to locate the dog and the owner;
- Gathering evidence in your case, including witness statements and footage from any nearby surveillance cameras;
- Obtaining statements from your medical providers regarding the severity of your injuries.
How Much Is My Dog Bite Claim Worth?
While each case is different and settlements vary based on the circumstances involved, you can count on Harris Personal Injury Lawyers to ensure you get the maximum amount you are entitled to. We aggressively negotiate with insurers on your behalf. If insurance is not available, we can file a lawsuit against the dog owner through the Merced County Civil Court. Compensation you may be entitled to includes:
- Coverage of your current and any future medical expenses;
- Reimbursement for lost wages and future losses in income due to disabilities;
- Compensation for the pain and mental anguish you experienced, as well as any scarring, disfigurement, or loss of enjoyment in life you suffer due to your injuries;
- Punitive damages, which is an additional amount the judge may order to punish the dog owner in cases where they were particularly willful and negligent.
To Request A Free Consultation, Call 1-800-GO-HARRIS Today
At Harris Personal Injury Lawyers, LLC., we represent dog bite cases on a contingency basis. This means you pay no attorney fees unless we get money for you. To request a free consultation, call 1-800-GO-HARRIS or contact our Merced dog bite attorneys online today.